Aberdeen Uni's Fashion Society for the style savvy student. Don't let the name fool you, we are not 6 foot and read Vogue like the Bible. We like to stay on top of the latest trends in music, art, design and fashion. It's our mission to make Aberdeen just that little bit more fun!

Sunday 7 October 2012

Cheap, and proud of it!


After reading Annie's blog 'Bargain hunting' I was inspired to write my own article. Contrary to Annie, I would consider myself as being one of those people who possess the 'bargain eye' (that is having the knack of finding bargains). I do believe it has saved me a lot of money in the past and as a result I have a wardrobe full of cheap but very cheerful delights and even have spare cash leftover.

Most of my 'skill' has sprung from outings to local car boot sales as a child where I used to get secondhand Barbies. Though I felt a little awkward admitting to my vintage buys at a young age, I have no problems in doing so now. In fact I am very proud to admit my scrimping ways. Buying second hand things is perfectly acceptable, for a better reason it is eco friendly!

The car boot sale opened my eyes to all the different, strange and wonderful things people decide to let go of. I have found that 'one's garbage' really is another person's treasure, i.e mine. If you are like me then you will seek long and hard for that great buy. However these buys are always like diamonds in the dust. You must first see the beauty beyond a dusty pair of heels, squint at it a bit and polish. Once you find your happy bargain don't be surprised if the item becomes a staple in your wardrobe.

The same idea can be applied to charity shop hunting. Here are my helpful hints on how to spot a great buy:

  • Law of attraction – This genuinely worked for me! I was thinking about how much I wanted a nice pair of subtle vintage cowboy boots, and lo and behold the next charity shop I visited, there was a lovely pair waiting for me.



    Grey suede boots - 50p!

  • Patience – Give yourself enough time to go rummaging around, as the more you rush, the more likely you will miss out on that golden item. Be prepared to spend a your time pushing hangers about to get to the clothes at the very back. Don't skip out on any rail or box! Some of the best stuff lurk at the back in hiding. However if you don't have the time or stamina many charity shops have done all the hard work for you and have their own 'vintage' sections with generally nice things. Check out the charity shops on Rosemount for their vintage sections and Take2 on Union Street.


My favourite bags – 50p & 20p (both car-boot sale)


  • Creativity – I believe it is not what you wear but how you wear it that transforms someone from wearing clothes to looking stylish, and in order to do so you need to have good judgement and imagination. Ask yourself, what could I do with this 'granny looking' skirt to make it modern and suit me?


 Jewellery – 50p, Skirt – 20p (both car-boot sale)


Lastly I will leave you with a final few reminders...

Believe in your search, you will find that vintage Prada LBD!
Do not be afraid to alter your items,
and remember to accessorise!


Tanya Xu Morrison



Favourite jewellery, all from car-boot sale and charity shops!

1 comment:

  1. Nice information on here, I would like to share with you all my experience trying to get a loan to expand my Clothing Business here in Malaysia. It was really hard on my business going down due to my little short time illness then when I got heal I needed a fund to set it up again for me to begin so I came across Mr Benjamin a loan consultant officer at  Funding Service He asked me of my business project and I told him i already owned One and i just needed loan of 200,000.00 USD he gave me form to fill and I did also he asked me of my Valid ID in few days They did the transfer and my loan was granted. I really want to appreciate their effort and also try to get this to anyone looking for business loans or other financial issues to Contact Mr, Benjamin Email: 247officedept@gmail.com  He is also available on WhatsApp Contact:+1-9893943740.

    ReplyDelete